First and foremost, the key to learning the Bible is Loving the Bible! Before you open the bible at any time to read and/or study pray for God to bless you with His Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding of His Word. Ask God to open your eyes to see and open your ears to hear. God’s Word is not dead words as ordinary books or other bibles written by men. It is God’s Holy Spirit that teaches and guides you in His Word and provides you the understanding or you won’t understand His Word period. We can’t learn His Word with our own wisdom, knowledge and understanding. We can read passages/verses all day long and if we don’t have the right heart and mindset we will never be shown His mysteries of His Word. We are not as intelligent as God no matter how smart or what school we graduated from. We can only know the mind of God if He gives it to us period! Know that the battlefield is the mind and we must discipline or renew our minds. Romans 12:1 -2 tells us, I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove whatt is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. The reason being is Satan attacks our mind by the Word of God. He puts doubts in our mind as he did Eve in the Garden of Eden, Genesis 3:1 and even tried that with Jesus in Jerusalem on the pinnacle of the temple by saying, Luke 4:10 – 11 when the true saying is Psalm 91:11 – 12. Satan attacks us in three ways, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life in 1John 2:16, the exact same way he fell from grace in Isaiah 14:12 – 14. So we have to put on the Full Armour of God as in Ephesians 6:11 to withstand the wiles of the devil.
Realize the bible is not hard to understand, it is the Holy Spirit Who teaches us the bible and we will never get anything out of It unless God’s Holy Spirit gives it to us! It’s importatnt to get the divisions in the proper places, primarily:
- Who is being addressed in a particular passage, the Jew, the Gentile or the Church.
- Three different applications of scripture are Historical, Doctrinal and Inspirational.
- Realize the best way to learn is by association otherwords by relating things that are similar.
- The two greates words in the bible for learning by association are the words, as and like.
- To understand the things you can’t see, study the things God made, because everything in this universe is some manisfestation of God.
- Certain keys which unlock the pictures and help you see them are the individual words contained in the bible.
- God is a Trinity: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost, 1John 5:7, 2Corinthians 13:14.
- Man is a three part being also, made in body, soul and spirit, patterned after God.
- Three groups of people addressed in the bible: Jews, Gentiles and Church.
- Old Testament: The Law, The Prophets and The Wisdom Books.
- New Testament: The Gospels, The Acts and The Epistles.
- Everything in the universe breaks down into a system of threes: earths kingdoms – animal, vegetable, mineral; earth’s makeup – land, sea, air; space – height, width, depth; matter elements – protons, neutrons, electrons; time – past, present, future
- Every person on earth comes from three men: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
God gave us the bible exactly the way He wanted us to have It and when someone changes or adds words in the bible, it destroys the Word of God.
Key Phrase Context: (not in every case of the phrase)
- The Day of the Lord – the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ
- The Day of Christ – the rapture of the Church
- Those Days – the tribulation period
Did you know that God has a wife, named Israel, Hosea 2:1 -2; Isaiah 54:1 – 5? How about Jesus having a wife, the Church (Believers), Revelation 21:9. Israel has two daughters that committed whoredoms named Aholah, the elder and Aholibah her sister. Aholah is Samaria and Aholibah is Jerusalem and they went whoring after the Assyrians and bore children, Ezekiel 23:4 – 5. Did you know that Clouds in the bible will be connected with the second coming of Jesus Christ, Revelations 1:7. The word Selah will be in context to the Millennium – Selah is a musical expression meanig to pause or rest.
When we see Jesus Christ it is the earthly name given to the Son of God. Christ is His heavenly title, meaning “Anointed”. Whenever His name appears as Jesus Christ, it describes His operation and function as the earthly man, Jesus, Who bled and died for our sins and then rose from the dead (ressurection) and ascended into heaven (Christ).
When we see Christ Jesus it describes His operation and function as the Risen Saviour seated at the right hand of God, Christ, performing His Priestly office, interceding for the saints (believers) before the throne of God, then bringing that function to earth, Jesus, to manifest it in the lives of saved people.
When Holy Ghost/Spirit appears, is in reference to the indwelling Spirit of God that is in saved people.
On the outside He is God, Genesis 6:22 and on the inside He is the Lord, Genesis 7:5.
God interprets His Word for us when you are saved and the Holy Spirit teaches and guides you in His Word. There are Cross Reference techniques by subject, types, events, historical and chapter/verse context.
- God manifest in the flesh, 1Timothy 3:16, John 1:1 – 5, 1John 1:1 -2.
- Christ is in saved people, Colossians 1:27.
- Jews and Gentiles become one in the body of Christ, Ephesians 5:32.
- Rstoration of Israel, Romans 11:25.
- Rapture of the Church, 1Corinthians 15:51.
- Mystery of Iniquity (pride), 2Thessalonians 2:7.
- Babylon the Great Myster Religion, Revelation 17:5.
Types are a major key to the bible. There are major and minor types. There are types of antichrist in the bible such as Cain, Nimrod, Pharaoh, Balak, Sisera, Abimelech, Saul, Goliath, Absalom, Ahab, Sennacerib, Nebachadnezar Herod and Judas to name a few. Joseph, type as the greatest type of the Lord Jesus Christ. The types make the Bible come alive!
The Second coming of Jesus Christ, two major places are Isaiah 53, in the Old Testament and Revelation 19 in the New Testament. The Millennium are centered in Ezekiel 40 – 48. Matthew 24 lays out the “End Times” and Matthew 27 lays out the Crucifixion. Revelation 4 and 1Thessalonian 4:13 – 18, the Rapture of the Church.
The Old Scofield Reference Bible is good for historical references while the Ussher’s chronology is good for dates in history.
Before you ask what the verse means you should determine what the context is. The bible has a basic doctrinal, historical and inspirational context.
Job, doctrinally, pictures the tribulation period, historically, it is a story of events which actually happend to a man named Job, inspirationally it shows us how to deal with suffering, persecution and trials of our faith.
The Five Wisdom Books in the Old Testament can be categorized as follows:
- Job – presents the sad man.
- Psalms – gives us the happy man.
- Proverbs – details the foolish and wise man.
- Song of Solomon – pictures the heavenly man.
- Ecclesiastes – shows us the wordly man.
In the Book of Proverbs we have portrayed for us two men: a wise man and a foolish man. When you read this book you are one fo these two men. Everyone you deal with in life is one of these two men.
Remember, pray to God through Christ Jesus to be taught and guided in His Holy Word to be blessed with His wisdom, knowledge and understanding in His Word. If you don’t have His Word but have one of man’s word (bibles) then you are in trouble from the start because you want get it.
In conclusion, blessed is the man that puts his trust in the Lord and has the fear of God because that is the beginning of wisdom, knowledge and understanding, Proverbs 9:10 and Psalms 111:10. May God bless and keep you.
- A Summary of the Contents of Each Book of the Bible
- Divisions in the Word of Truth
- What it Means to Rightly Divide the Scriptures
- Why Is There Confusion Over Doctrine
- Who are We?
- Many Called but Few Chosen
- False Preachers, Teachers and Prophets
- Is Religion Spiritual or of God?
- How to Study the Bible
- Key to Learning the Bible
- All Bibles are the Same aren’t They?
- Non Lukewarm Ministries